Thursday, 1 April 2010

Dubai by Night

Thought you might like a quick peak at some Dubai nightlife.

We didn’t get out a great deal during opening week because we spent a lot of time at the store, and it closes at midnight! That’s lots of air-conditioning and not much sunlight. I'm on my third cold.

However, our hotel was just around the corner from Dubai’s old city and the creek, so it seemed necessary to do the tourist thing and take a Dhow dinner cruise. Andy, Ana and I spent a very pleasant couple of hours eating Lebanese food and travelling up and down the creek. Only one really smelly bit. The rest was quite nice.

I love a good mosque, especially by night.

Our hotel had a very inviting rooftop pool and Chill Out bar. There goes my sobriety again. Good job the cocktails and wine were so expensive that even I didn’t want to have too much. (£40 for a bottle of Jacob’s Creek. I don’t think so.)

It was very nice reclining on those outdoor 4-posters with a balmy breeze wafting around and the pleasant smell of shisha pipes along with a good vibe from the resident DJ. I heard it's bitterly cold in the UK. Shame.

And then on our last evening, we wandered back down to the creek, took a dhow across to the other side and had a look around the souks.

Nope, my dining room table's bigger than that.
All that gold ...
... and I bought a camel! I couldn’t resist him. He was so cute. And the old man on the stall asked for £1.50 for him. I suppose I should have haggled but how could I?


Well, that’s it for now. A very Happy Easter to all you blogspotters and happy trading to all the stores around the world (how exciting to be able to say that). I won’t be getting a Bank Holiday weekend but I will be getting a new store next week … so tune in again soon.

2 comments:

  1. Love the four poster things, looks like you were dining in luxurious relaxation!!!! (You aren't smiling though - still reeling from the cost of a bottle of Jacob's Creek?)
    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't help but notice the bottle of Heinz Tomato Ketchup on the tray on the 4 poster lounger! Seems strange to see one in such a luxurious setting!!

    ReplyDelete